Combat is pointless

8 Comments·Started 10 April 2015 12:22 PM
Joe BallogJoe Ballog Forum DwellerJoe BallogComments: 7 ✭✭
I mainly fight battles to win glory points to level up. Correction: that's what I used to do. After the big update last year which made huge changes to the game, combat is now virtually pointless for levelling up purposes. On average, I'm probably not offered more than about 150 glory points per assault. By contrast, I get thousands of glory points for almost every step of research. You can now level up without having to engage in combat at all! So increasingly, I find myself no longer bothering with combat.

The way a game like this is supposed to work, is that you have to fight to win the research points so that you can level up your units so that you are better at fighting, and so on. But fighting now is just a tacked-on extra, with no strategic value. As a consequence, the game is a lot more boring than it used to be. The solution is to substantially reduce the number of glory points you get from research so that you have to engage in combat to keep your research going. The game is just too easy now.

Comments

• Each and every update requires considerable thought and input. Part of what you say is true about it being possible to level up without having to engage in combat. But you know that would be a very slow process Joe. Perhaps there are a lot of glory points awarded for some item of research, but the requirement in materials (i.e. wood, stone and iron) is such that players are engaging in as many battles as they can to win those materials from opponents and thereby speed up their own acceleration in the game. Also, combat is only one feature of the game as there are other activities available and the development team is continually working on new events, the upcoming Global War, and more.
  • Joe BallogJoe Ballog Forum Dweller Joe BallogComments: 7 ✭✭
    Given the length of time research takes, you can't speed it up by much by fighting battles. The research tree is so tightly tied to the available glory points you get through research now, I find that by the time I have another empty research slot ready to fill, I have just about all the raw materials I need already. In fact, right now I am ahead of the game, I have almost enough raw materials to start my next research already and still have two days to wait for the research slot to open!

Yes, you can still speed up your research somewhat by engaging in lots of battles, but not by much given the paltry amounts of raw materials and glory points you now get from combat. I reckon you'd have to play this game all day to get a significant boost to research from combat, and even then it wouldn't be that big.
    I must concede though that on my current level - 23 - it looks as if I'm going to have to do a fair bit of fighting to speed my next level up, because I'm still 25k glory short of the next level now and only have one research slot available (the others requiring level 24 to open). So maybe it's better at higher levels - the last few levels though, I have barely had to lift a finger to level up.
  • You are right on that Joe. At the lower levels players are often selling excess raw materials for coins, but as you get into the 30's and higher levels, you will find that you need more and more of everything. Upgrading your production buildings, having a lot of friends clicking on your structures, doing the same for your friends to gain lots of 30 minute speed ups, and attacking as often as you can to capture all of the opponents items available, all help towards getting what you need.
    I still think there are not enough glory points anymore for attacking though - 150 points per attack makes it hardly seem worthwhile. If they don't want to increase the total amount of gp available, they'd do better IMO to reduce the gp you get from research and increase the gp from attacks correspondingly.
    Well, it happened again :) I thought I was going to have to fight to get to level 24, because I was 10k glory points short, but then the "marksman" research slot opened up, which awards a massive 9,600 gp! So again, I haven't had to fight a single battle to level up! In fact, when this research is complete, I will actually have 3k more gp than I need to go to the next level.
  • It's great that the game is easy for you at these lower levels, but as said before, be prepared for things to get tougher when you are higher and need more than 100,000 to reach the next level. Even then, there are unit upgrades that will award as much as 15k points and more, but you might need your Smithy's making a lot of stuff to do it. Also, battles are the means to achieve higher ranking which is important to many other players. Good luck and I hope you can continue to Level up quickly :)
  • Dejan DencicDejan Dencic Forum Dweller Dejan DencicComments: 4 ✭✭
    you fight for resources to make those upgrades possible if you didn't figure it by now