Basic Strategy 101

26 Comments·Started 28 August 2013 02:03 AM
GunnerwolfGunnerwolf Forum ExpertGunnerwolfComments: 92 ✭✭✭✭
Welcome to K:CoH.

This is my beginner course for new recruits.
Disclaimer: I am not connected with playkot, I'm also a player who wants to give a few tips base on my personal experience. You are all welcome to post your own tips if you want, and correct me if you have a better advice.

Here goes: (in no particular order)

1. Special Unit MAnagement
The 2nd day special unit "Stormcaller".
---A very useful unit, who can deal +50% damage to infantry units (90 damage)
---be very careful when using it in "Assault". It cost 5 crystal to revive it and you have more or less 1 week to revive him. If he will die, it would be better to just leave the fight than see him die because it will cost you crystals to revive him.
---Very useful in "Tourney". No fear of dying.
---In my opinion, just keep him for castle defense and tourney. They are too precious to lose in assault. Basic and Advance units are more than enough for assault raids.

2. Revival Management
---Advance units (Guardsman, Swordmaster and Shooter) might have better stats than basic units (Militiaman, Hireling and Ranger) but the basic units have faster revival time. It would be better if you bring a few basic units in your assault team to serve as sacrifice and soak up the enemy attacks thereby saving some time on your revival time.

---My strategy is to bring 1 basic unit for every 3 advance units. Even if the enemy kills 2-3 basic unit, it would be faster (and cheaper) to revive them than reviving 1 advance unit.

3. Assault Formation
---I prefer starting in a place with generally light defense.
---It is easier to handle enemies if they come at me one at a time, so in some cases I use the enemy structure to create bottlenecks and just lure the enemy in there. My knights will serve as tanks while my shooters strike at the back and my spearmen deliver the finishing blows.

4. Hero
---Get them as soon as you can... they start of weaker than advance units but they have plenty of upgrades to later make them powerful.
---The best part is that they are immortal, so bring them in every fight and you can even sacrifice them because you do not need to revive them later.
---Unfortunately, they do not participate in tourney and castle defense.

That's it for now... I will add more when I think of more.

Comments

• Gunnerwolf,

That is one thorough guide, thank you so much for posting it! Id like to add a couple of things, if you don't mind.

1) Stormcaller – he is powerful indeed, and effective against infantry, but his low initiative and small movement range makes him more suitable for defense, rather than for assaults.

3) I would also recommend forming several groups and attacking from different flanks. A couple of durable footmen, such as swordmasters, and some upgraded archers would make a perfect assault team: while the first hold off the incoming castle defenders, the other ones are covering them with arrowfire. Also, it might be a good idea to deploy a separate group of archers to destroy the enemy Citadel from the distance, which grants you one star and victory by default.

4) Some Heroes' upgrades are applied to the units the are in command of, other boost up their own stats. One shouldn't also forget about their special abilities, which are useful in battles, too.
  • GunnerwolfGunnerwolf Forum Expert GunnerwolfComments: 92 ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for the additional tips.

Oh, yeah... The hero special abilities. How come I forgot about it. Those damage boost can really turn the tide. I wouldn't have overcome that mission against that very strong cavalry knight without that special.

I'm still figuring it out, but I think the hero upgrade also upgrade their corresponding infantry units. My shooter have an attack damage of 65 but it deals 70 damage in actual battle with my level 6 hero that have archer upgrades. NVM, I just realized you mentioned it already.

BTW: I see that there is a new section for tips/advise. Can you please move this thread to the "Advise of the Wise" section?
    I've just recently acquired the horseyard and now have access to mounted units...

My first impression is that these new mounted units are indeed stronger than the infantry units, BUT at the cost of 2 deployment points, it is not tactical to deploy 1 of them compared to deploying 2 infantry units.

I will try to see find out what will be the advantage of using them and post what I discover.

Edit: After trying out the mission, I see that there are only 6 starting position slot, with 10 deployment points for that mission. To maximize my team, It would be better to deploy 4 mounted units and 2 infantry units (6 unit slots with 10 deployment points).
  • Damon WilsonDamon Wilson Forum Expert Damon WilsonComments: 32 ✭✭✭✭
    Is making bunkers with walls and putting archers in them effective?
    Is making bunkers with walls and putting archers in them effective?

Yes, that is a good strategy. Creating walls between you and your opponents allow your archers to have a limited protection against swordsmen and spearmen.
  • ????? ????????????? ???????? Forum Dweller ????? ????????Comments: 8 ✭✭
    Walls allow archers shoot through?And can the enemy archers shoot yours or they must kill walls 1st?
    Arrows can shoot over walls (both defender and attacker's archers).
    Now that I have some unlocked mounted units and upgrades on my 2nd tier units, I feel that watchtowers are a waste of population points, so I slowly sold my towers one by one and replaces them with upgraded units.
  • BaltheriusBaltherius Freshly on the board BaltheriusComments: 2
    how do I get anything better than hirelings, my enemy opponents are crushing my team because they are so much higher
    1. Complete all your hireling's upgrade. This will unlock the research for the 2nd tier of swordsman, the "Swordmasters".
    2. Research swordmaster training.

You can unlock 2nd tier class for basic units the same way.
    Militia to Guardsmen
    Hirelings to Swordmasters
    Rangers to Shooters
  • FuturistFuturist Forum Expert FuturistComments: 68 ✭✭✭✭
    I like to see if there are any units or towers within range of attack. I win initiative, so I get to attack first. Anything within range of my archers can be dead before it can move or shoot. To take out Order towers, 4 guardsmen can do it in one turn.

I like bottlenecks where only one or two enemy units can get to me at a time. Then, my archers do the killing without ever being threatened.

For defense, I suggest NO TOWERS, excepting Order Tower and Stone towers. Even hidden behind walls, normal towers are too easily evaded, and too susceptible to archer fire. Also, since they count against your population, they make it easier for an attacker to kill half of your units.
    The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of the expanding bureaucracy.
  • Torben NielsenTorben Nielsen Forum Expert Torben NielsenComments: 88 ✭✭✭✭
    Futurist wrote: »

For defense, I suggest NO TOWERS, excepting Order Tower and Stone towers. Even hidden behind walls, normal towers are too easily evaded, and too susceptible to archer fire. Also, since they count against your population, they make it easier for an attacker to kill half of your units.

This may sound like a stupid question. But so far i havent seen any stonetowers, unless they are the watchtower V. So i ask if you get the stonetowers after you upgrade the useless watchtowers enough?

For some reason i cant place the towers in the inventory like the gates and the walls. My only options is to sell the towers or keep them. It would be nice to have that option too.
    This may sound like a stupid question. But so far i havent seen any stonetowers, unless they are the watchtower V. So i ask if you get the stonetowers after you upgrade the useless watchtowers enough?

For some reason i cant place the towers in the inventory like the gates and the walls. My only options is to sell the towers or keep them. It would be nice to have that option too.
    I agree, I would really love to have the ability to store towers. This will allow me to upgrade towers to max stone upgrade and compare its performance with a more mobile archer units.

I will make a separate thread on this matter in the vox populi section.
  • FuturistFuturist Forum Expert FuturistComments: 68 ✭✭✭✭
    Still, immobile defenses need a much greater value to match even stupid AI controlled shooters. I faced my first Marksmen during an attack today. The cavalry was no issue, I simply mobbed them with guardsmen (she had two mounted units...it took 6 guardsmen). The Marksmen though, with their range, their speed, and hitting for 110 damage per attack, just hurt!

If they doubled the stats of towers, I might revisit my decision. Until they do, I'll just go with mobile forces. Right now, I am able to have 32 units. I keep them all together, so that to kill half you will have to face 20 or more. Few have. Those that do? Take major losses. So, you can't defend everything, unless you have vast superiority. To prevent your forces being split and defeated in detail, keep them together, don't bunch up your buildings, as they can be used as fortifications.

Since you can't stop them from getting one or even two stars, all you can really do, is prevent them from getting three stars, and make them pay to do so.
    The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of the expanding bureaucracy.
  • Torben NielsenTorben Nielsen Forum Expert Torben NielsenComments: 88 ✭✭✭✭
    As a player in the upper limbo of silver league (close to gold league, but always 1 raid from a fading dream) I can agree on the view that no defense can prevent someone to get 1-3 stars.

A player with superior forces can walk over my soon to be ruin, very easy. I have no defense against a ballistica (i know i can upgrade towers and archers to have better range, but that takes a lot of time)

My only real defense might be try to upgrade the units as much as possible to scare most players off.

I tried the defense with the (1 army group) At my lvl its a bad tactic, it just bring more players in for the 1-2 star victory. When you have special units and highly trained units it might be different.
  • MartyMarty Forum Speaker MartyComments: 37 ✭✭✭
    I have to agree with you Torben. The only real defense is to simply scare someone from attacking you in the first place. As you rise up in the ranks though, it is inevitable that you will find people that can beat you. You will take losses no matter what you do. I have better luck with a more strategic defense instead of just putting all of my units in one big block. I am like you though and don't have any special units to enhance my army with.

I am in the silver league...not that close to the gold league....probably about right in the middle of the silver league. Not sure if I ever see myself making it to the gold league though...maybe in another 2 or 3 months after I have upgraded some stuff without using blue crystals I might have a chance to fight in to the gold league. *shrugs* Who knows. Although in that time it took me...the others will simply be that much stronger.
  • MartyMarty Forum Speaker MartyComments: 37 ✭✭✭
    When it comes to basic strategy...I have read some people who love upgrading swordmasters. I guess I am not sold on swordmasters with a pack of archers yet. I still enjoy my pack of fast moving guardsmen that tear up enemy defenses and help ensure that an attacking person will at least take some sort of losses. Maybe I will change my mind when my shooters finally get a range increase (I am still working with just a single foundry so making the steel bars and stuff takes forever...upgrading takes 1 to 3 days for one upgrade to try and piece together all of the supplies). Otherwise, I find that they are only useful in certain situations and I tend to not use many archers.

I don't know about other people, but I am also wary about how much I upgrade Sir Crashton. His upgrades add in to your castle rankings/enhancements. Yet his bonuses only apply when you are assaulting. hhmmm....makes you think some.
  • Sasho KojuharovSasho Kojuharov Forum Speaker Sasho KojuharovComments: 34 ✭✭✭
    if you go against fortified towers, you will change your mind.
  • CdMCdM Forum Speaker CdMComments: 26 ✭✭✭
    A few extra tips from my recent, casual play. I am not a power gamer, I just log in 2x per day and even then for not a huge amount of time. The morning login is usually just to collect materials and do any additional construction projects.

This is not a power game you can crack open in a week. Everything takes time to do, lots of time. You can rush but you'll always be waiting anyway. You can't sit and micro manage this game minute by minute.

When you first start you get 2 guardsmen, don't take them on raids until you get to lvl 5? and get access to build the shrine where you can resurrect them if they die, or at least don't let them die in a raid. I lost mine early and didn't know a resurrect option would eventually happen down the line. When you build them later they cost $12k gold and some armour you have to make which cost $8k in itself, they get annoyingly expensive to replace especially when you had 2 freebies to begin with. You don't get access to them until you've fully researched the militia men, which takes long enough as it is. Early game, take militia and upgrade militia, much cheaper to replace losses and they become early game formidable in time especially with the +initiative.

I've tinkered with sword, spear and bow on 2nd tier units. For fast gut tearing speed raids I haven't gone past a pack of upgraded guardsmen yet. Mine are only 1/3 upgraded but they do raids just fine. I feel as though I really wasted my time upgrading swords at the same time. If I went back and started over I would just research militiamen to max and get on with guardsmen upgrades.

So far at my middling level I am unconvinced of the need for archers in general raids and I'm often amazed at the odd AI they have in defence that make them die without firing once. Maybe they need a fire and shoot AI in the same move for defence to be slightly more threatening at lower levels.

I groaned every step (6!) I had to go through to build the market before it finally was usable. It's expensive and tedious to get to, but in the longer run it is viable for getting rid of excess raw materials. I don't try hard, but I am making a few $k every day just selling off excess stone at a minimum. If you're doing raids and are near maxed vaults, sell some and let the raids restock you. Serious raiders will reap some good money out of it.

You can't rush your way through the campaign, it has major choke points based on your level and ability to withstand the monsters you have to face. One tip I just had, when you go on the Road to the Mountains mission, you encounter undead cavalry. They melt to guardsmen very fast. I did the siege of Freelong with my guardsmen as well, I lost the two main heroes from laziness but not one of the regular troops. I won lots of nice scrolls from the Winter Games, none of which were usable in the missions I had access to.

I accept that my base is going to die if attacked by any serious player. I stopped even trying to fuss over it. Wherever possible I try to spend as much resources and queue/build as much as possible before I log out. It never hurts to make more coal, steel bars, tempered bars, spare chainmail, tool kits or whatever base items you need for your army. As far as I know you can't target anyone in particular, so it's safe to say you won't get return visits from the neighbourhood meanie until you give up playing with no resources. If anything with the 6x assault bonus, being attacked and losing is overall good for the general economy. I attack less people because of it, but I am after all a 'only as needs' player.

You get 6 energy max that regenerates at 1 energy per hour. I focus on 3 tourneys which I'm mostly going to win for a little cash and a few points and occasionally a little bonus item drop. While the winter quest was on they were also good for a few sweets. After about 3 tourneys they get tougher, to the point where my 4 guardsmen were dead without striking a blow in return. After 3 quick tourneys I jump onto a few raids. I could usually do a few of those and win with some nice rewards before I started encountering bases there was no real point attacking because I didn't want to lose many units. The main reason I didn't want many to die was because I would have to sit around and wait reviving them one by one, and at 2 guardsmen at 2 hours each, that's a total waste of real world time before going to sleep. That usually gave me enough resources and cash to progress along with research and construction. If I just started raids I found I was doing a couple easy ones then wasting the remaining energy skipping over too hard bases hoping for easier ones which didn't seem to come. If I get spare energy and I'm bored I'll go suicide in tourneys and lower my ranking score slightly.

I remember earlier on I could take 9 units on a raid, and now it's 10, so it either increases with leveling or the game has changed slightly. Once you get heroes they don't count for the unit limit on a raid.

I make a limited income from upgraded mine/farm etc that gives me a fair base to supplement with a few raids to allow me to progress with the next construction/upgrade project. It is getting to the point where it may be taking a day or two days to line up a unit upgrade or building. For example to make smithy lvl 3 I need to make large tool kits which need medium tool kits which need small tool kits, and tempered steel bars all of which take ages to craft and stock materials for.

Almost all upgrades of tier 2 warriors need scrolls of valor and also higher level building upgrades. They drop rarely, and can also be bought for 25 bronze or 10 crystals. It's a major choke on advancement, so be prepared to be patient through every aspect of the game.

At level 12 you get the Altar of Heroes. If you use predominantly one type of unit for raids like I do, it is a very nice boost to have a hero well researched in that type. Using guardsmen and having only just started researching my Crashton hero, my guys are already up +30hp from his bonus. Very nice. By the looks of the researches, Crashton will be very formidable in his own right later on. His bonuses are only good for raids, so ensure you still upgrade your troops with the arsenal for defence and the campaign.

Early game I spent the occasional 1 crystal for resources, usually stone to get me through a couple slow spots. After that I spent the remainder on additional pavilions for more defenders, but I am maxed on those too now so I have nothing to spend crystals on if I even wanted to.

I've got no experience with ballistas at all, it looked initially like it would take too long to make them usable for me so I bypassed them. Someone else may need to comment. I haven't reach the level for cavalry yet, so again no comment from me on their usefulness.

For the research inside the castle, think about if you need the research at all, such as the towers and the higher level farm/mine upgrades if you're not actually ready to build the upgrades.

Overall it is a slow game you need to pace your own play time. I'd say it has potential to evolve into more interesting things, especially if it can track away from p vs p and into some alternatives for the not so aggressive with the proposed monster waves or some additional random quests.
  • HisagiHisagi Forum Dweller HisagiComments: 3 ✭✭
    My advice at level 13.

Don't bother with defense towers. They're a resource and population drain at this point. They only serve as minor speed bumps to anyone with a basic ballista or moderately upgraded guardsmen.

Don't get too caught up in resource upgrades. Upgrade them and add more as you can, but most of your resources are going to come from raiding other players early on. The key here is to farm scrolls of valor from other players and get into the bronze league as fast as possible.

Focus on upgrading militiamen over hirelings and hirelings over rangers. Once militiamen are fully upgraded you can start producing guardsmen, and guardsmen will be your bread and butter early on.

Upgrade your blacksmith and foundry when you can and add more when you can.

Add pavilions whenever you can.

When upgrading your guardsmen starts to get too costly, get to work on upgrading hirelings and then sword masters. When that gets too expensive .. start upgrading rangers and then shooters.

Don't worry about siege works early on. A basic ballista is too expensive and the same work can against wooden watchtowers can be done with 3-4 guardsmen if you time it right.

When your upgrades start to be more expensive than your raiding can support, start upgrading your resources. Farms, mines, quarries, and lumber yards. You should build more whenever you're able.

Don't worry too much about walls in the beginning. Stone walls are expensive and if you waste time building walls ... you're not using those resources to upgrade guardsmen.

A ballista has a range of 5, wooden towers have a range of 4, rangers and mid trained shooters also have a range of 4. A group of guardsmen can pretty much demolish a wooden tower. 2 guardsmen can drop a ranger, 3 can drop a shooter ... depending on training.

So ... nutshell.

Focus on upgrading militiamen to guardsmen asap. After that work on sword masters. After that work on shooters.

Don't bother with walls or towers.

Focus on upgrading foundries and blacksmiths over any other structure.

Add structures as you can ... they're cheap.

Don't use the dwarf to attack.

I leave mostly guardsmen as defense.

I use mostly guardsmen as offense. If need be I'll throw some sword masters in the mix as bait and tanks. Almost all of my damage is done by guardsmen.

Use your resources, as much as you can ... all if possible before you log off. Always know what your next upgrade is going to cost and build those materials you will need.

If you don't have enough, build what you can. Always use your iron. Never leave any to be raided. Make iron bars. Make tool kits. Make coal ... always. Why? When I'm raiding, if the person has little gold or little iron to loot ... I don't bother. It's a waste of time unless there are a lot of points in ranking to be had and I'm in danger of falling out of a league.

Do not be afraid to skip over a difficult opponent. Before you start the battle and place a single troop. Look over the opponent. Do you see special units? Undead, elves, dark elves, orcs, ents? If the answer is yes, and more than 1 or 2 ... move on. Are there stone towers? Are the second tier units better trained than yours? If the answer is yes ... chances are you should move on. Losing more than 4 second tier units means you're going to lose units. They'll expire before they can be revived. That means 12k in gold and some costly training materials. It also means less defense while your units wait to revive or train. Second tier units take 2 hours to revive, 2 hours to train, and only hang around in the temple for 6 hours. Which means you'll need to check in every hour and 55 minutes over the next 6 hours. Not only that ... but unless you get a star and end the battle ... you lose ranking points.

Strategize. If you can't clear the raid and get 3 stars, go for whatever is easiest. Most often that is destroying half of their buildings. Guardsmen can get this done real quick if you place them right. Just remember that turns start in the reverse order of placement and available turn capacity. The last placed is generally the first to go. The first placed is generally the last. Don't bother with the temple, altar, or market unless you have to. Don't bother with pavilions unless you have to. Knock down the citadel if you can do it quickly.
    If you have nothing else to do with cash, a few hundred lumps of coal in storage is always good as well.
  • Jonathan BrayJonathan Bray Forum Dweller Jonathan BrayComments: 4 ✭✭
    im new i dont see how to get a order tower please help
    IIRC, it becomes available to build about lvl 14 or so
  • Indriķis SīpolsIndriķis Sīpols Moderator Indriķis SīpolsComments: 219 Moderator
    No, you can get the order tower at lvl 15
  • Simoun Laong-LaanSimoun Laong-Laan Forum Dweller Simoun Laong-LaanComments: 4 ✭✭
  • Simoun Laong-LaanSimoun Laong-Laan Forum Dweller Simoun Laong-LaanComments: 4 ✭✭
    cool! :cool: