Immortality for purchased unit

6 Comments·Started 30 August 2013 01:44 AM
GunnerwolfGunnerwolf Forum ExpertGunnerwolfComments: 92 ✭✭✭✭
Purchased unit should be immortal, or atleast should be revived by coins (not by crystal) and have fast revival time (5-10 minutes only).

I'm not sure if they are already immortal but in case they are not, maybe they should be.
One of the reason why I didn't bother buying the elven archeress and the orcish berserker is that I'm afraid they might just die later, which would be a waste of money to invest on. I know they have better abilities but the regular units can manage on their own. Having a hard time to revive purchased units is a liability which greatly decreases their value and makes them only useful in defensive roles.

If purchasable units become easier to manage/revive, I will definitely consider buying them.

Comments

• Gunnerwolf,

An interesting suggestion, thank you! However, exclusive units were designed to have higher stats than the regular ones plus unique abilities, and if we make them purchasable with coins and cut their revival time significantly, they will be easier and eager to use than the regular units. And this will automatically make them non-exclusive, plus players will lose the motivation to develop other troops: why bother, if they can use über-units, which are cheap and easy to revive?
  • GunnerwolfGunnerwolf Forum Expert GunnerwolfComments: 92 ✭✭✭✭
    baskakova wrote: »
    and if we make them purchasable with coins

I didn't meant for them to be purchasable with coins. I meant for them to be revivable using coins. We will still buy them using real money thus it will still be exclusive, all I am asking is for them to be easier to manage when they die.

Shouldn't we enjoy using uber-units if we pay for them with real money? If it was intentional that they should be hard to revive when they die, then I guess you didn't want players to buy them. I really wouldn't buy those units and just continue to use regular units then. What's the use of spending real money on units that are difficult to revive?
  • Gunnerwolf,

Sorry, by 'purchasable with coins' I meant 'revivable with coins', such an awkward slip of the tongue.

The idea (as I understand it) initially was the following: exclusive units are rare and more powerful, so players should bring them to battle only having taken care of a certain strategy, since without one such units can be killed quite fast. In my personal gameplay I use elven archeresses, for example, as elite assault squad against players with non-trivial defenses. I know losing them would result in spending qrystals on their revival, but I'm aware of that first, and second, I get 3 qrystals for free every week as a daily bonus, so I can afford it, and it feels quite nice :cool: But again, this is my personal approach, not a developer recommended strategy.

Also, if you purchase an exclusive unit, it's very useful in your castle defence, too. When I come across players with the same elven archeresses, who have a very wide firing range and the initiative that practically allows them making 2 turns while my regular archers make 1, or with orcs who have the ability of damaging multiple units, I know this battle will be a literal pain in the rear)

Please don't get me wrong: I'm not urging you to buy exclusive units, just sharing some thoughts on them as another K:CoH player.
  • GunnerwolfGunnerwolf Forum Expert GunnerwolfComments: 92 ✭✭✭✭
    I see. Well, you are right, those units are indeed too powerful against those without them. Maybe I'm just too scared to buy them because of my experience using "Stormcaller", who almost always die in assaults. :)
  • Dorakin WarhammerDorakin Warhammer Freshly on the board Dorakin WarhammerComments: 2
    A reasonable consideration is make the shrine timer on bought units unlimited. Paying real money $7 per elite unit is high enough. Now if they die you can lose them forever? You still need crystals to revive and put them back on the field, so the temptation to spend more money is there. Just really horrible that you lost a unit you spent money on because perhaps you left town for a week or if your computer dies.
  • Dorakin,

2 facts for you: 1. ANY unit who has fallen in a battle perishes, if not revived; 2. there are 5 free qrystals we give every player every 6 days, which is enough for reviving at least a single exclusive unit per week. Plus I highly doubt that one would leave town for a week immediately after a battle, without even taking a glance at his/her losses at the Shrine. And if one's compuiter dies, one can always access your Facebook profile and the game from a different laptop - or log back in a couple of hours, when units are still waiting for revival.