Tactical Turn Based Combat

8 Comments·Started 08 November 2013 11:35 AM
FuturistFuturist Forum ExpertFuturistComments: 68 ✭✭✭✭
I love the depth, the ability to control every move, contemplate my objectives, and formulate then execute a plan to achieve them.

However, facing AI controlled units, I can win against superior forces almost every time. My record in attacking other castles is probably 100-5-4 (Wins/Wipes/Withdraw). While true, when I see a superior number of superior units, I sometimes hit the next castle button, I almost always, once I commit, succeed in achieving all three objectives. According to the reports I get, not once has anyone done so to me.

How can this be? I know I get to see people of roughly the same level, or perhaps a bit below in the first six attacks daily. Not one of them was able to overcome my defenses and loot all my stuff? When my record of attacks is so overwhelmingly the other way? I do wonder if they fudge the reports, by indicating to the defender a lower grade victory (and thus not having all of their stuff looted).

But my real point is. Can we have PVP battles? Where both are in control of their forces? Even if it were only in a special tournament in the arena, it would add significantly in my mind. I have played several mp turn based combat systems online. Most notably, Master of Orion 2 and 3. A timer, then a default to AI control would be a big plus. (I would prefer to be able to fight my defenses...as the battle map, being bigger, presents a more fluid combat than the tiny map of the arena...there all you can really do is select target).
The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of the expanding bureaucracy.

Comments

• Futurist wrote: »
    I do wonder if they fudge the reports, by indicating to the defender a lower grade victory (and thus not having all of their stuff looted).

Futurist,

If you suggest that developers somehow tweak the attack reports, I can assure you that it's not true. All assault attempts as well as their outcomes are logged at the game servers automatically, it's impossible to select and tweak specifically your results - not to mention the fact that it would be unethical and quite senseless. How did you actually figure that among your attackers no-one was able to plunder your castle for 3 starts? There are no indications on the number of stars the victor had.
  • FuturistFuturist Forum Expert FuturistComments: 68 ✭✭✭✭
    baskakova wrote: »
    Futurist,

If you suggest that developers somehow tweak the attack reports, I can assure you that it's not true. All assault attempts as well as their outcomes are logged at the game servers automatically, it's impossible to select and tweak specifically your results - not to mention the fact that it would be unethical and quite senseless. How did you actually figure that among your attackers no-one was able to plunder your castle for 3 starts? There are no indications on the number of stars the victor had.

It's easy to tell that they didn't get ALL of my resources. At one point I had 130k gold and vaults full of wood, stone and iron. At no point has anyone EVER taken all of my stuff. Yet, I do so 90% of the time? (I know I'm good, but I certainly don't have the levels that some do...)

OTOH, I tend to attack with only hirelings and a few rangers or shooters. I found that having the ability to recover quickly is more important that unit quality.
  • Futurist,

Thank you for the explanation. What makes you think that in raids you take 100% of the castle owner's stuff? It's not so, only a certain percentage is taken. You can never rob an opponent blind: otherwise the person who attacks him/her next would have no plunder at all.
    I think that because the losses I see for attacks on me are minimal at best (maybe 4k gold lost), whereas I am looting 20k gold at times. Also, when offered the option to hit back, when I do so and win (with all three stars), my rewards are 5x greater than what they looted off of me.

Maybe the limit is 20% of what resources are available, if so, it would be nice to know that. At one point I had nearly 200k gold, because I was level limited and unable to buy more land. I was worried that I was a MUCH more lucrative target than anyone I had been offered as a target.

Oh, and on those "combat reports". Talk about bare bones. You don't mention who attacked, what their level is, what units they sent, what units they lost, what units they killed (even if temporarily). A complete replay option would be nice actually. Then maybe people would see what I'm doing to slice and dice their defenses, and I would actually be challenged.
  • Da1DezzyDa1Dezzy Forum Dweller Da1DezzyComments: 2 ✭✭
    how do I view the battle reports?
    I feel stupid lol but cannot find the button haha >.>
    Da1Dezzy wrote: »
    how do I view the battle reports?
    I feel stupid lol but cannot find the button haha >.>

The current extent of the "battle report" is simply a listing of your losses, in resources and honor...
    I am lobbying for more info...hell, I WANT to be able to direct my forces in defense! In true PVP turn based combat...
    When reaching the higher levels in the arena, I see player's icons as my opponent.
    From what I can gather, this means that the units I'm going up against are available to that player.
    However, the units are obviously under AI control (as they move too predictably and quickly to have been player controlled), and, further, they are always at the base statistics (meaning, they have no improvements to armor, attack, nor initiative).
  • Adam Brewer-janssenAdam Brewer-janssen Forum Speaker Adam Brewer-janssenComments: 20 ✭✭✭
    Nice thread...

One thing to add is when someone attacks you you can have revenge.. Excellent, however, after you have chosen one person for revenge you loose the rest... THIS SUX!

Really like your tourney idea of full castle battle PVP style