Archers VS Towers

7 Comments·Started 19 December 2013 10:18 PM
GunnerwolfGunnerwolf Forum ExpertGunnerwolfComments: 92 ✭✭✭✭
Basically, why should we invest on making a tower when we could allocate that 1 population points for making a more powerful, more mobile, and more useful archer units.

Towers compared to archers are
-weaker
-stationary
-cannot be used in assaults, tourney or missions.

So what gives? What does towers have to offer? I agree they are useful in the beginning, when you are still in the process of training archer, but afterwards, archers are so much better.

My suggestion:
A. Make them more powerful that archer or atleast as powerful, perhaps let them be manned by archers, thus gaining from hero upgrades of archer units. Maybe give them a 1 range advantage from archer units.
B. Allow them to be stored in storage so we can upgrade them slowly and compare the maxed towers to an archer units.
C. Allow them in assault/tourney/missions... maybe give them a wheel so they can be moved 1-2 squares.

Comments

• Damon WilsonDamon Wilson Forum Expert Damon WilsonComments: 32 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree. Give them the ability to be upgraded like archers with their own tree that we can change them. Make them like bunkers to increase fire power and give them the option to shot different ammo like a catapult or flaming pitch. Upgrade to level 6 to get stone towers is hard and until they reach level five for the plus one range they are target practice nothing more. Stored archers should get a +1 range and when tower is destroyed then you still have archers to deal with. The whole game defense is based on how many units and how tough you can get them to defend guys that got pumkin guy or save up for ent has best defense towers really dont matter except the dark tower and even the order building is easily destroyed with a few good swordmasters. Your whole defense boils down to how many bodies you have and and how good are there upgrades.
  • GunnerwolfGunnerwolf Forum Expert GunnerwolfComments: 92 ✭✭✭✭
    Additional suggestion:

Tower Heal Function
    Passive:
    Any unit within the tower's attack range gets 20-100 heal at the start of their turn (or at the start of the tower's turn)
    Active:
    Towers can have a special spell that heals allies (massive single 50-200 heal or medium 20-80 AoE heal)

This way, towers will need to be taken more seriously as a defensive threat, therefor making them a must to take down as soon as possible.

It would also give stationary towers a function of being a staging/healing area if they will be allowed to be used in assault/tourney/missions. Just think of it as tactician's using siege tower's offensively.

Edit: I'm aware that the coming soon "magic-type" unit might include a healer, but this healer tower suggestion will still be different from a mobile unit's capability to provide healing.
  • Eddie LohEddie Loh Forum Dweller Eddie LohComments: 3 ✭✭
    a much larger attack range than an archer will do just fine.
  • TooPensiveTooPensive Forum Speaker TooPensiveComments: 30 ✭✭✭
    Watchtower V (or Stone Tower I) and above have same range as Shooter with +1 range...
  • Indriķis SīpolsIndriķis Sīpols Moderator Indriķis SīpolsComments: 219 Moderator
    Good to know... So, I will not invest resources in towers and waste time on them... Unless game developers make it so that tower range is greater than that of any other unit - then I could put them to good use and they would have some useful effect on attackers...
  • TooPensiveTooPensive Forum Speaker TooPensiveComments: 30 ✭✭✭
    towers do become useful in a certain way, but as I said, only stone tower I-V and reinforced tower I&II. watchtower I-V are utterly useless (even though watchtower V has +1 range)
  • Indriķis SīpolsIndriķis Sīpols Moderator Indriķis SīpolsComments: 219 Moderator
    Well, do you mean placing them around your citadel + protect them with a stone wall + place some high damage range units next to them so that anyone who comes to kick the wall gets a rain of arrows and lots of damage? It might be a defensive strategy... But honestly, from looking at how people play and do things, I think I would prefer having a max developed marksmen (or a mounted archer) instead of a reinforced tower II... But I might change my mind, I am only LVL 10 now, lol :D
    Still, towers should have the highest range so that ballistas can't take them out without at least some fight... Don't you agree?