Winter Games (12/24/2013)

34 Comments·Started 24 December 2013 04:32 AM
SystemSystem SystemComments: 0 Administrator
Milords and Miladies,

Enough with the suspense, the main Winter Games have begun! You have 20 days to find out the reason of the terrible frost in Greenmeere, fight with the ice undead and old foes: gremlins; plus save the world once again. The winners will get the main prize: the chance to get a liking of the Snow Queen herself...

Winter Games include 20 quests, each of which has 1-2 goals. Most of the tasks are about getting sweets: special candies that are dropped with collecting resources, completing production and getting rewards for successful assaults and victories in tourneys. Sweets will continue dropping for all 20 days that the event will take.

1524934_228901570622690_886258068_n.png

Also, in the very event there is a Magic Store available for participants, where you can purchase Christmas decorations, New Year presents and scrolls with spells for sweets.

New Year presents will go in your Inventory, where they can be opened. There may be items, resources, gold, decorations, scrolls with spells and even Shield inside! The bigger the present, the more valuable its contents.

New Year scrolls with spells are valid for a single use of the spell only: to use the spell twice you'll need 2 spells, etc. IMPORTANT: If you get a New Year scroll with a spell, you will be able to use it in an assault or a tourney even if you haven't built the Rune Tower, and thus have no Sorcerer's Codex available!

And a hint to those warriors who are able to win the main prize: the Snow Queen takes 2 places in a castle, and her revival at the Shrine will cost 10 qrystals.

Winter Games are available to players starting with Level 10. Best of luck and happy holidays!

Comments

• FuturistFuturist Forum Expert FuturistComments: 68 ✭✭✭✭
    Too bad I will be out of town for more than a week. I will try. Actually, I already am trying.
    Nice event, but you couldn't have given us some warning? An announcement prior to releasing the event? I thought that was the sort of thing forums where for...
    The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of the expanding bureaucracy.
  • Torben NielsenTorben Nielsen Forum Expert Torben NielsenComments: 88 ✭✭✭✭
    No, this is perfect, present are ment to be a surprise.

And you were the one asking for an event ;)
  • MartyMarty Forum Speaker MartyComments: 37 ✭✭✭
    I'm enjoying it so far :)
  • kargathkargath Forum Dweller kargathComments: 4 ✭✭
    I think there is a fault in missions. When is going to fight with some enemy, then mission briefs saying that i can take 10 soldiers to battle (freelong), but there are only 4 spots for soldiers. In next mission is same problem 6 soldiers in briefings and 4 spots.
  • kargath,

No error here. Some units occupy more than a single place on a square: for example, all siege engines and cavalry take 2 places, and the ent takes 4. The limit is given for places, not for units.
    Try to play first battle from winter games, maybe you will find a fault.
    Lets to the point before mission starts its clearly written that i can use 10 spots but on map existing only 4 placement quadrants. Even if i will have some units taking 2 places then i still will be able to use only 4 units not 5. I hope that i am more clearly this time.
  • kargath,

Please take another look: the message above says the troops limit is 10, not that you have 10squares you can take. It means that you can place ANY combination of units that occupy 10 positions on 4 squares, such as:

- 4 infantrymen: there will be 6 places vacant;
    - 4 horsemen: there will be 2 places vacant;
    - 2 infantrymen, 2 horsemen: there will be 4 places vacant;
    - 2 Ents and 2 infantrymen: there will be 0 places vacant;
    - etc.

Placing exactly 10 positions on 4 squares is NOT a must. It just gives you a variety of options.
    Whole event then is for very high lvl players or very rich guys which will invest alot of money in game (which is normal for designers i think).
    I my opinion there should be more squares for units to have bigger variety of choices.
  • kargath,

I beg to disagree. There are quite a lot of people who managed to complete the event already, and it's more than 2 weeks till the end of it! So, actually, it's all up to you. Best of luck!
  • Futurist,

We've been announcing the event in our Facebook community a week ago. Since there are more subscribers there, it was the main place for spoilers)
    Could You tell me which lvl are they? I dont think so that they are lvl 15 like me . I had to use some crystals to finish second battle because its clearly impossible to finish it with 4 guardsmen (my best troops), and boss in this mission had 2000hp and 300dmg (1 strike for my soldier). I would imagine what kind of bosses i will face later.
  • MartyMarty Forum Speaker MartyComments: 37 ✭✭✭
    The gremlins quest is pretty vicious. I am level 13 with no special units...I honestly am not sure how I can beat it at this point with my available troops. Not unless I try and "dance" around with the final boss and the towers like I have read. Even then...I hate risking losing 3 guardsmen and then possibly failing the mission. It's hard to get 3 guardsmen to revive without using blue crystals. These quests are rough...I was just assuming that my levels are too low or something.
  • Sasho KojuharovSasho Kojuharov Forum Speaker Sasho KojuharovComments: 34 ✭✭✭
    The battle you people have trouble with has a weak point. I was lv 16 when I did it and used only my hero + 3 hirelings. The trick is to make a stand near the 2 towers and you will win.
  • Narumi FujishimaNarumi Fujishima Forum Dweller Narumi FujishimaComments: 9 ✭✭
    another trick would be hit and run using the swordman with high attack + initiative... forgot his name.

the only thing i would rant about is that... the sweets are so elusive to me T_T. i could hardly get sweets when harvesting and can only get them through tourney/assault.
  • TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Forum Dweller TiamatRoarComments: 15 ✭✭
    Some quick questions from a newbie. Do the fireworks get consummed and dissappear after one use? Or do they last forever?

Do the scrolls get consumed after one use? (pretty sure they do, but just want to make sure)

What's the Diamond? It looks like a qrystal. Or is it something else like a reagent/component that just happens to look like a crystal?
    Hi Tiamat.

If you dont buy a fireworks for 80 sweets then i assume the one you can fire right now will be gone after the event.

And yes, if you use a scroll then its gone.

The diamond. Im assuming i have some function in one of the last event quests.
  • TiamatRoar,

1. Fireworks are permanent decorations, they aren't used only once: just like a regular decor they'll be in your castle after the event is over.
    2. Scrolls with spells can be used only once: they disappear after use.
    3. Finally, a diamond is a special items required for Winter Games quests only.
    Joey... Look in the post "potion quest" for advise.
  • joeystrangejoeystrange Freshly on the board joeystrangeComments: 2
    found it Torben ... Thanks
  • Adrian DarkThoughtsAdrian DarkThoughts Freshly on the board Adrian DarkThoughtsComments: 1
    winter games special missions are hard, does anybody have any guide to complete them??
  • Kevin PierceKevin Pierce Freshly on the board Kevin PierceComments: 1
    The entire event and this game as a whole is ridiculously imbalanced. It is not even possible to attempt strategy as the waves of opponents give you nowhere to regroup to try to support your own troops.

I was interested in the story but the way things are set up it is now time to block this game as it is not possible to progress.
  • Eric JohnsEric Johns Forum Dweller Eric JohnsComments: 8 ✭✭
    I was able to get about two thirds of the way through, using my spells along the way...I wanted the Snow Queen! Then I realized that getting all the way to the end probably gives the chance only to purchase the Snow Queen. So I waste my time on this stupid "Winter Games" only to not be able to finish without digging into my wallet! I thought this was cool and a great idea at first...but now it reeks of money hungry dweebs. So I agree with you Kevin. The event is imbalanced....and they only way people where able to complete it so quick was by buying their way through it. Great for playkot, bad for the players that can't afford to keep shelling out money every week.

Someone please tell me I'm wrong and you don't have to but the Snow Queen after completing all the missions and wasting valuable foundry and smithie time!
  • Eric,

First of all, please mind your language: offensive remarks aren't welcome here. Second, the Snow Queen is a reward given to ALL PLAYERS who manage to complete the last special mission of the quest successfully. In fact, there is quite a number of people who's already gotten their Snow Queen for free. It's not a special offer like 'complete a mission and get a chance to purchase a unit', if that's your concern.
    OK then. First let me apologize for my language. Secondly let me apologize for being a total #$%hole and being totally wrong. I don't mind admitting when I'm wrong and I should have asked, instead of just assuming.

One other thing I will sheepishly admit to. I haven't spent a single penny, not one dime, and the playability is amazing. I may not be able to get elven archers, orcs and exploding dudes, but It is still a very fun game to play...for free...so..

Once again...apologies to everyone concerned, especially the developers that have put together such a great game.
  • Arion YeowArion Yeow Forum Dweller Arion YeowComments: 12 ✭✭
    Can someone please give tips on completing the bath in Gallanhad lake mission? There are no towers to hide behind and the final wave of undeads is just too much.
    Arion. Here is the truth. If you cant do it, and most cant, then you have 2 choices. Give up or use crystals. But if you want to get the snow queen then the only way to get it now is to use a lot of crystals.
    Torben, thank you. I understand and will take your advice. As much as I want the Snow Queen, as I have seen it is overwhelmingly powerful, I don't have the resources to acquire her.

I am concerned this event is similar to many other games which creates a divide between paying players and community creating players (a polite term for free players). In my observation, the divide eventually becomes so wide that the game enjoyment is ruined for free players and they leave, abandoning the community they have created because they form the majority and disheartening the paying players who see their friends leave, causing more players to leave. Eventually the game dies or go into life support mode. I've seen Idle Worship, Avengers: Alliance, Castle Age, Mafia Wars, Dragon Age: Legends, all go the same way. I hope the developers of this game know how to scale events and the rewards for the events for the future of the game's player community.
  • GunnerwolfGunnerwolf Forum Expert GunnerwolfComments: 92 ✭✭✭✭
    Arion Yeow wrote: »
    Torben, thank you. I understand and will take your advice. As much as I want the Snow Queen, as I have seen it is overwhelmingly powerful, I don't have the resources to acquire her.

I am concerned this event is similar to many other games which creates a divide between paying players and community creating players (a polite term for free players). In my observation, the divide eventually becomes so wide that the game enjoyment is ruined for free players and they leave, abandoning the community they have created because they form the majority and disheartening the paying players who see their friends leave, causing more players to leave. Eventually the game dies or go into life support mode. I've seen Idle Worship, Avengers: Alliance, Castle Age, Mafia Wars, Dragon Age: Legends, all go the same way. I hope the developers of this game know how to scale events and the rewards for the events for the future of the game's player community.
    In my opinion, such a divide between paying and non-paying players, after all without such divide, there would be no point in paying for this game.

I am a non-paying player, but I do not find it too difficult to keep up with paying players. I may not surpass them, but I will be not too far away from them.

If everyone do not pay for this game, then this game will not generate a revenue to stay open.

BTW: I recently started playing Marvel: Avengers Alliance, for the past 3-4 months... I'm still not on the top league, but I am slowly working my way on towards reaching it. Remember, once those early players reach the top, there is nowhere to go to but down, while I started later, I will soon catch up to them who no longer goes up in level or hero advantage. I will catch them in a year or two. I'm not in a hurry.
  • MorkonMorkon Freshly on the board MorkonComments: 1
    Hi Lords and Ladies. Happy New Year to you all. I am almost done with the winter games and currently doing SNOW FURY VII...I am wondering how much more missions are there to complete the winter games and claim the snow queen. I only have 5 days left to complete it. I getting worried that I might not finish it on time. Please reply. Thank you. Here is a picture of my progress on the winter games.
  • Sasho KojuharovSasho Kojuharov Forum Speaker Sasho KojuharovComments: 34 ✭✭✭
    I'm one mission ahead of you. You will need to gather 120 more sweets and craft a necklace. I suggest you start crafting 2 rings now as you will need them. Also if you don't have 3 smithies and atleast one of them upgraded to level for you can skip it for 12 crystals.
    Gunnerwolf wrote: »
    In my opinion, such a divide between paying and non-paying players, after all without such divide, there would be no point in paying for this game.

I am a non-paying player, but I do not find it too difficult to keep up with paying players. I may not surpass them, but I will be not too far away from them.

If everyone do not pay for this game, then this game will not generate a revenue to stay open.

BTW: I recently started playing Marvel: Avengers Alliance, for the past 3-4 months... I'm still not on the top league, but I am slowly working my way on towards reaching it. Remember, once those early players reach the top, there is nowhere to go to but down, while I started later, I will soon catch up to them who no longer goes up in level or hero advantage. I will catch them in a year or two. I'm not in a hurry.

Gunnerwolf, I've read that same argument a few times in other game forums. Perhaps you'll find my answer familiar too: Your opinion isn't enough to keep this game running. Most free players don't see the situation as you do and they will eventually quit if the playing field is too unbalanced against them.

It has happened in many games and it will happen here because I'm looking at the appdata -- the DAUs and MAUs are ten times smaller than at least one similar game which has failed. Among the free players that leave, some will be community builders that makes playing more fun. When they leave, the paying players who are their guildmates will lose some of their enjoyment of the game and eventually leave too.

But it doesn't have to be like that. Developers can concentrate on community building by increasing the social interaction aspect of the game to bind players together instead of trying to hook whales (the common developer term for big spending players) which only highlights the divide. One method to increase interaction is to introduce direct PVP or large scale PVP but with the accompanying problems of intense player rivalries and a lot of hate speech. Another method is to introduce competitive PVE against an NPC enemy side with weekly guild/individual leaderboards with prizes in the form of bragging rights, temporary rewards such as buffs and maybe some resources.

Purchase should be limited to energy, resources or units with slightly better performance which are not obvious advantages unlike of overwhelmingly powerful units which kick the competitive spirit of free players.

Marking high end content clearly for long time players would prevent new players from ignorantly getting involved and feeling frustrated.

Releasing new content with a teaser for more content (maybe custom skins or more missions) will keep interest in the game alive.

Stuff like that. Essentially, focusing on revenue will kill the game. Focusing on making it fun for ALL players will ensure a growing player community. As other games fail, a fun game can bring in entire guilds or even communities to play it.

BTW: I tried Avengers for almost a year when it first came out about two years ago. The sense of being squeezed for cash made me give it up. There's absolutely no way to get to the top unless you buy the special heroes which appears in promotional events, unless you play it for many years (but the game may shut down first).
  • Narumi FujishimaNarumi Fujishima Forum Dweller Narumi FujishimaComments: 9 ✭✭
    If you have unopened boxes at the end of the event? will they disappear or no?
    Time is up and I couldn't get past the Ice Bath mission. Now everyone I fight in the tourneys and raids have Snow Queens. Am I worried? Does it create a great divide between me and the the players that spent moeny? Nope and nope...because I have tons of free cool spells (Thank you Winter Games and all the presents!) and can stun, exhaust, weaken, electrocute and generally butcher any Snow Queen in my path, just like the Ents, Elves and Orcs I encounter. By the time all the free spells are used I will be replacing them with the ones I learn from the rune tower! Loved the Winter Games...and looking forward to being more powerful so I can do better in the next event!
    If you have unopened boxes at the end of the event? will they disappear or no?

No...although any unused candy will vanish from your inventory, you can still open and receive present boxes. I still get them from my Xmas tree and in Raids against other players.