Swordmaster or guardsman?

3 Comments·Started 12 February 2014 10:49 PM
damiendamien Forum DwellerdamienComments: 3 ✭✭
Whats the best to upgrade for fighting ext

Comments

• TooPensiveTooPensive Forum Speaker TooPensiveComments: 30 ✭✭✭
    This question can't be answered that easy...

It depends on the situation you'd use them. Swordsmen are better if you want to attack someone with lots of Archers, but they have low initiative and low range.
    Spearsmen have a higher initiative which means they have more frequent turns, and they have a huge range. They're also good against Chivalry because of the 50% damage bonus.

A fully upgraded Swordsmaster has 80 damage, 400 health and 95 initiative, fully upgraded Guardsman has 80 damage, 310 health and 120 initiative.

It really depends on the situation.

Cheers!
  • CdMCdM Forum Speaker CdMComments: 26 ✭✭✭
    I found my locusts - oops guardsmen - a little fragile in the beginning, besides which I just couldn't afford enough of them. I used the regular hirelings as a cheap replaceable meat shield until the guards got a little more research on them, by which time I could field a full complement. The addition of a hero when he turned up and the upgrades he gives to them is also good. I like the guards for their high speed and decent damage. The hp is a little low for an even 1 to 1 match, but for attacking I pick my fights anyway so I can quite happily gang them up on spread out opponents and crush them. When I go raiding with the hero I found the hero ends up a mile away from most action and rarely ever gets to take part, he's that slow in comparison for my tactics.

I don't run into enough archers to ever bother me, so the 1/2 damage for swordsman isn't much of a bonus for me. I don't think I've come across a horseman yet outside the missions, so the guards double bonus hasn't helped me much either.

I've used them as my attack force since I was able to research them up until lvl 14. I am not an aggressive raider, but they do me just fine in a swarm. I find the swords just too clunky slow, and I've never used archers for attack.

I don't care about base defence, swordmasters might be better for that for their hp.
  • TooPensiveTooPensive Forum Speaker TooPensiveComments: 30 ✭✭✭
    CdM, sooner or later you will need archers. They are, sometimes, quintessential. You'll understand once you're there :)