The scroll situation

11 Comments·Started 13 February 2014 01:18 PM
Torben NielsenTorben Nielsen Forum ExpertTorben NielsenComments: 88 ✭✭✭✭
I write to you about the scroll since im really concerned about the game.

At present time it VERY difficult to get any Scrolls. In the last 3 days i have destroyed 17 citadels and received 1 scroll.
I dont know if the droprate is constant or the chance gets lower as you rise in level, but the fact is, that the scroll is a very rare item to drop.

And considering how important the scroll is for upgrading units, buildings and researching magic having the most important item in development of the base.

Here is the thing.... If a game aint fun to play most players will leave it. Take for instance World of tank. In that game 10-15% of the playerbase use money. In this game, when the players run out of scrolls, cant no longer get more from bronze coins. Then they either will leave the game for good or use money to get some more. My guess is, that most will choose the first option, and many of those who choose the 2nd option will take the 1st option later.

When we cant upgrade buildings or units, then there is no real point in building items and having friends helping.

You might say that we get 70 bronze coins each week, and thanks for that. But those coins are already needed for archers rings and other stuff, it dont have any lasting effect that we can get scrolls for 25 coins if we dont have any coins to get the other stuff.

I know many players have left the game. And i would not be surprised if the issue with the scrolls is in large part a reason of it. I also know that most of the players im in contact with is running low on the scrolls.

I have a nagging feeling that when we attack someones castle where the player behind is inactive, then it seems like there aint any drops at all. If thats true, then the droprate is extremely low.

The question is..... Can you as developer of the game in the long run afford to keep that low a droprate of the most important item in the game....

Comments

• GunnerwolfGunnerwolf Forum Expert GunnerwolfComments: 92 ✭✭✭✭
    17 citadels and 1 scrolls... That was really a bad streak... In my case I get too much scrolls and not enough time to craft the other items for upgrading.

My scrolls never reach 10/20... I often have 17-20 scrolls at the end of the day.
  • Adam Brewer-janssenAdam Brewer-janssen Forum Speaker Adam Brewer-janssenComments: 20 ✭✭✭
    The situation with the scrolls has changed the game for the worse, that is for sure... It is very hard to get the scrolls, like you I get a scroll quite rearly, not 1/17 but about 1/8... It is quite crazy... The runes was a much better system...

As for having too many scrolls!!!! I find that very hard to believe and if you have them the you are not upgrading as much as you can be....
    I write to you about the scroll since im really concerned about the game.

At present time it VERY difficult to get any Scrolls. In the last 3 days i have destroyed 17 citadels and received 1 scroll.
    I dont know if the droprate is constant or the chance gets lower as you rise in level, but the fact is, that the scroll is a very rare item to drop.

And considering how important the scroll is for upgrading units, buildings and researching magic having the most important item in development of the base.

Here is the thing.... If a game aint fun to play most players will leave it. Take for instance World of tank. In that game 10-15% of the playerbase use money. In this game, when the players run out of scrolls, cant no longer get more from bronze coins. Then they either will leave the game for good or use money to get some more. My guess is, that most will choose the first option, and many of those who choose the 2nd option will take the 1st option later.

When we cant upgrade buildings or units, then there is no real point in building items and having friends helping.

You might say that we get 70 bronze coins each week, and thanks for that. But those coins are already needed for archers rings and other stuff, it dont have any lasting effect that we can get scrolls for 25 coins if we dont have any coins to get the other stuff.

I know many players have left the game. And i would not be surprised if the issue with the scrolls is in large part a reason of it. I also know that most of the players im in contact with is running low on the scrolls.

I have a nagging feeling that when we attack someones castle where the player behind is inactive, then it seems like there aint any drops at all. If thats true, then the droprate is extremely low.

The question is..... Can you as developer of the game in the long run afford to keep that low a droprate of the most important item in the game....
    The situation with the scrolls has changed the game for the worse, that is for sure... It is very hard to get the scrolls, like you I get a scroll quite rearly, not 1/17 but about 1/8... It is quite crazy... The runes was a much better system...

As for having too many scrolls!!!! I find that very hard to believe and if you have them the you are not upgrading as much as you can be....

I am upgrading as much as I can but I do not have enough of the other items to upgrade... I need a lot of armor and weapons to upgrade but unfortunately I run out of resources a lot faster than I run out of scrolls. I'm a rank 30-50 non-paying player. Used to be rank 4-20 but lost ranking when I stopped playing for 3 weeks last december-january... Considering that I am non-payer, it seems to be a pretty decent ranking which requires a lot of upgrade to attain.

Most of my upgrades takes 2-3 days to finish. and by that time, I have already dropped the scrolls that I used up.

Earlier, I started a new batch of upgrades and I have only 9 scrolls, by the time my upgrades finished, I will probably have 20 scrolls again.
  • Torben NielsenTorben Nielsen Forum Expert Torben NielsenComments: 88 ✭✭✭✭
    Gunnerwolf. You are the only player who claim its easy to get scrolls. My worry as i have stated is that new players, unlike you, cant upgrade basic buildings and get scrolls for even low lvl 2nd grade units upgrades...

Right now there are 3 kind of bottlenecks. 1. scrolls, 2. archer's rings and similar stuff which we only can get with the weekly 70 bronze coins, and 3. basic produced or farmed resources/items.

Many players have no chance of defending them selves against higher lvl players or get bored/frustrated and leave the game...
  • antcorfantcorf Forum Dweller antcorfComments: 7 ✭✭
    I agree with Torben on this one. From the 3 bottlenecks, the third one is the easiest to solve as one can get help from friends or be a bit patient. The first two have a combined effect on the game: rings and unicorn horns can only be acquired through dragoons, so after a certain point you'd better save dragoons for these items and wait for scrolls to drop during raids. If you are a not advanced/new player and not have a unit like the Snow Queen, it is really hard to do enough raids and most likely you will lose resources (+ratings) from attacks from strong players. The rating system is biased in favour of the strong: instead of determining the rating points on teh strength of the castle that is raided, they are determined by the upgrade level of the attacker. All these together, make these bottlenecks very important. Someone may say that spending money to buy qrystals and upgrade faster is a solution. As once a developer wrote in this forum, these games work in a way that paying players make faster progress: I agree, but the nature of this game (which is not like Criminal Case where you can pay and solve 2-3 cases in one day and not pay but still solve them in a week) means that the relatively weak not paying a lot player's progress is simply blocked.

But I see a more important problem at this point. First, let me say I'm a moderately paying player (I have bought the Elven Archeresses, an Orc, a Dwarf Bomber and a few qrystals the last day of the Winter Games as I didn't have time to collect those items needed for the Snow Queen). I would be happy to pay again, what I would consider a reasonable amount, but I'm afraid I don't feel like doing it as the game seems stagnated. Since I finished the currently available campaigns the only thing I've done is raids, tourneys and helping friends/ collecting resources. And I'm just lvl 18. In a sense, one aspect of the problem is that there isn't much else to do but raids. The Orders are like group of friends. The tourneys have become mechanistic: the team that has the Snow Queen usually wins (and if both teams have it, te teams that stuns the other first usually wins). Raids could be interesting, but after a point I feel they take too much time for too little, especially for weaker players. So my question is: why should I bother paying more? Just to be able to defeat a few players more? To get a few rating points until I'm defeated by stronger players and have to pay again? You pay when this would make playing more enjoyable, but I cannot be the case at the moment.

For me, te way to go would be: 1) add new features to the game asap, 2) try to avoid sitations where some new/weak players feel there is no way to move up (maybe change the rating system), 3) increase the drop rate of scrolls or make changes so that players feel they can make progress (slow progress but they are not found in such bottlenecks where a single upgrade may need 2-3 weeks). To make players more willing to spend something, it'd be better to introduce new features (e.g. new units: having purchased some special units makes you stronger, gives yo an advantage but it doesn't make it prohibitive for other players to challenge you).
    Gunnerwolf. You are the only player who claim its easy to get scrolls. My worry as i have stated is that new players, unlike you, cant upgrade basic buildings and get scrolls for even low lvl 2nd grade units upgrades...

Right now there are 3 kind of bottlenecks. 1. scrolls, 2. archer's rings and similar stuff which we only can get with the weekly 70 bronze coins, and 3. basic produced or farmed resources/items.

Many players have no chance of defending them selves against higher lvl players or get bored/frustrated and leave the game...
    Yes, it might seem that I am the only one claiming to have no problem dropping scrolls, but in all the forums that I have seen, it is those having problems that are more vocal in posting... You won't see many players who are satisfied with the game frequenting the forum.

Yes, there might be 5 to 10 of your airing your disappointment but there are thousands of player playing this game and for all we know, for every 10 of you who are having a problem, hundreds don't have any problem at all. That is part of the game of luck associated with drop rates, some will be lucky and some will have bad lucks. Only the game developers will have the actual information as to how many players are having a bad drop rates and they can adjust the rate accordingly.
  • TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Forum Dweller TiamatRoarComments: 15 ✭✭
    It's your level, Gunnerwolf. At higher levels, things cost more resources and materials than they do scrolls. At lower levels, it's the opposite. The vast majority of players are not as high level as you in researches, which is why you're the only one posting that you don't have a problem with scrolls.
  • HisagiHisagi Forum Dweller HisagiComments: 3 ✭✭
    I would say the drop rate for scrolls is very problematic. While no one is advocating for hedonism here ... it would be nice if we could be faced with a daily decision for ONE upgrade. Much of the time you can't even hope for that.

Early on it seemed I was getting scrolls at a rate in which I didn't have to worry about them ... I just needed raw and crafted materials. Now ... well I'll get a build up of materials through days of not being able to use them on upgrades and then I'll get a scroll .... and then have to repeat that. In a weeks time I may see 2 scrolls drop and then have to spend 50 of my 70 bronze on 2 scrolls just to advance a little.

You just pray that you don't get wiped out by another player in the gap between scrolls.

So it's great that you don't have a problem with scrolls. Just don't think your the rule .... you are very much the exception.
  • Ridwan AbdillahRidwan Abdillah Forum Dweller Ridwan AbdillahComments: 7 ✭✭
    for now I have no problem about the scrolls, probably for the next few weeks I am sure would be problematic because each upgrade requires 2 scrolls and scrolls that I can 1 = 6 over robbery attack ..
    and scrolls I have no more than 7/20, this will be a very difficult situation in the future
  • Sony LionSony Lion Freshly on the board Sony LionComments: 1
    agree with u torben, game isnt that good / fun, from items needed to upgrading, producing, crystal cost too expensive for game like this and i wont spend much money for that , upgrading producing times take too long and boring, leaving/quiting the game is the choice
  • Indriķis SīpolsIndriķis Sīpols Moderator Indriķis SīpolsComments: 219 Moderator
    Gunnerwolf wrote: »
    You won't see many players who are satisfied with the game frequenting the forum.

Hey, not true, I am perfectly happy and I still read stuff here :D (https://www.facebook.com/SAIP0)

To those who complain: PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE :) This is a long-term game ;)